The immune system is geared to RECOGNIZE an injury or threat, then use the inflammation mechanisms to RESPOND to that injury by mobilizing healing and reparative cells and subsequently RESOLVE the injury through a quick and assertive delivery of those healing cells and nutrients.
So why is everyone so anti-inflammation? When functioning properly, inflammation is the most powerful and critical healing tool of the immune system. The problem is that our bodies are being overloaded and our systems are out of control. We are deficient. And this can result in chronic inflammation and all of its associated conditions.
System deficiencies can arise from a host of things:
- Toxins, bacteria, and viruses that can slowly wear down the immune system
- The stress of our modern life which causes the release of cytokines that promote inflammation and disturb resolution of inflammation
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of critical nutrients and micronutrients, which are absent in our processed food environment
- Lack of sleep or erratic sleep patterns which inhibits the body’s ability to heal
- Excessive wear and tear on your digestive tract where over 80% of your immune system resides
And what happens when the immune system gets overwhelmed? The entire system is compromised. You begin to RECOGNIZE too late. RESPOND without the necessary nutrients. And worst of all, never experience complete healing. Your body cannot RESOLVE the problem, you remain in a constant state of inflammation.
How do you know when inflammation goes from being healing to being destructive? What are the symptoms?
- Pain that doesn’t go away
- Tiredness no matter the sleep
- An illness out of the blue
- Elevated cholesterol, to name a few.
So what’s the answer? You need to strengthen the body’s natural immune system and inflammatory processes so you can achieve optimal healing through resolution.